Logo Carenity
Logo Carenity
Join now! Log in
flag us
flag fr flag en flag es flag de flag it
Home

Forums

Latest discussions
General discussions
See all - Forum index from A to Z

Medications

Medications fact sheet
See all - Medication index from A to Z

Surveys

Ongoing surveys
The results of the surveys

Magazine

Our featured pieces
News
Testimonials
Nutrition
Advice
Procedures & paperwork

Conditions

Fact sheets
See all - Disease index from A to Z

About

About us
Why share your data?
The Carenity team
The ambassadors
Partner associations
Contributors
The Science and Ethics Committee
Our scientific publications
Our commitments
Certifications and awards
Carenity in the news
Editorial policy
Code of conduct and privacy policy
Legal notice
Terms of use
Cookie management
Contact
Carenity for professionals

Join now! Log in
  • Forums

    • Latest discussions
    • General discussions
    • See all - Forum index from A to Z
  • Medications

    • Medications fact sheet
    • See all - Medication index from A to Z
  • Surveys

    • Ongoing surveys
    • The results of the surveys
  • Magazine

    • Our featured pieces
    • News
    • Testimonials
    • Nutrition
    • Advice
    • Procedures & paperwork
  • Conditions

    • Fact sheets
    • See all - Disease index from A to Z
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Alcoholism Forum
  • Living with alcohol use disorder
  • How have you approached your journey to recovery?
 Back

Patients Alcoholism

Living with alcohol use disorder

How have you approached your journey to recovery?

  •  23 views
  •  0 support
  •  2 comments

avatar Courtney_J

Courtney_J

Community manager
12/16/2020 at 6:15 PM

Good advisor

avatar Courtney_J

Courtney_J

Community manager

Last activity on 08/08/2022 at 11:09 AM

Joined in 2020


1,334 comments posted | 4 in the Alcoholism Forum

6 of their responses were helpful to members


Rewards

  • Good Advisor

  • Contributor

  • Messenger

  • Explorer

  • Friend


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

Hello everyone,

Facing addiction can be a long and scary process and many addicts don't know what to do or where to turn. The National Insitute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism has a helpful guide that can help people navigating treatment options of alcohol addicition: Treatment for Alcohol Problems: Finding and Getting Help

How have you approached your journey to recovery? What treatments for alcohol addiction have you tried? What has worked for you?
@Hidden username‍ @Fraidreshoo‍ @Plokock346‍ @Hidden username‍ @Hidden username‍ @Hidden username‍ @Bleyroal‍ @Daimidees81‍ @Chakur7960‍ @Hidden username‍ @Hidden username‍ @Tucheroan‍ @Creepreabrosh5‍ @Hidden username‍ @Veaflang7‍ @Hidden username‍ @Hidden username‍ @84Bleadreack‍ @Hidden username‍ @Socrayclor2571‍ 

Feel free to share here, we're all here to support one another!

Take care,
Courtney

Follow

Medical fact sheet

Medical fact sheet

Alcoholism

Give your opinion

Survey

What do you think about the Carenity Forum and community?

Survey

Help shape the future of Carenity!

Survey

Become a Carenity Ambassador – Help our community thrive!

All comments

avatar 3542Moapovoos

3542Moapovoos

12/16/2020 at 6:32 PM

avatar 3542Moapovoos

3542Moapovoos

Last activity on 12/16/2020 at 6:27 PM

Joined in 2019


4 comments posted | 2 in the Alcoholism Forum


Rewards

  • Messenger

  • Explorer


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

@Courtney_J Hi, I'm part of this group because someone in my life is an alcoholic and won't/can't accept it in my opinion. They've tried AA and other groups but never really ever finish it and seem to be in a sort of never-ending loop of temporary sobriety and then relapsing. I'm not sure how to support them through this or if there's even anything I can do to help anymore. If anyone has any advice, I'm open to it.


How have you approached your journey to recovery? https://www.carenity.us/forum/alcoholism/living-with-alcoholism/how-do-you-cope-with-alcohol-dependence-2863 2020-12-16 18:32:30
avatar exit

Unregistered member

12/19/2020 at 9:52 PM

Hi, I'm writing this as a recovering addict/alcoholic.  I've battled the disease as a young man through my 50's.  Please know I only speak for myself.  What made a huge impact on me was losing my two older brothers.  We all learned from an early age that alcohol was a part of holidays, anniversaries, weddings, super bowls, and the list is endless.   It's embedded in American Society.  We see people celebrating every occasion on TV and movies. What we do not see is the devastation and human suffering it takes on the individual, and that person's family and friends.  I went to a treatment center for 3 days in 1989 left after detoxing on librium.  I simply wasn't ready to quit,  All the tools and resources were available. I simply chose to continue using.  I always prided myself with the facade if being responsible, employed, and being "in control".  As my age increased, so did my abuse. The abuse never slows down, and only progresses.  My story is not unique, but actually very similar to others. I honestly feel that until we as a society remember it's a disease we're dealing with, not a character flaw, or being weak, I'd be bs-ing myself and others if I did not admit that the disease is selfish and treacherous.  Like any condition, we have choices, and God knows I've made some bad choices.  I wish there was a simple solution to what you are experiencing.  I can only share with you in my case that my intention was never to cause pain and heartache for those who cared and love me.  That still was not enough to quit.  For me, that's the insanity of the disease. There are reasons people drink and abuse.  Not an excuse, but at times using was maintaining what sanity I had left.  After losing my brothers, I didn't grieve, I used and chose to drink.  Using had become my partner and saviour.  When I lost my Mother to Cancer, that was a major turning point.  I was with her when the doc gave her the news, that she had weeks to live.  After hearing the doc telling her this, she was not shocked, but made this statement, "I'm lucky to have lived a good life and am ready to meet my maker".  My thoughts were only Wow!  After the diagnosis, she chose to go home with me and my Son, her grandson, and hospice was soon to follow.  I admit to obtaining some illegal prescriptions to manage and cope.  After 5 days I was detoxed from alcohol and drugs.  I was very grateful for the people I sought out for help, therapy, and medications provided to me.  Yes there was still  Post acute withdrawal(PAWS) to deal with.  After the loss of human lives, all I knew was if and when I die, I will do so being sober.  I did not do this alone.  There were professionals, relatives, and friends that help me get where I'm at today. You, as a loved one going through this, be sure to take care of yourself.  There's resources like Al Anon, dual diagnosis self help groups, and therapy available for you.  Local Communitiy Mental Health Services with sliding scale fees if you have or not have insurance.  The only advice that I can offer is don't give up hope, and if they can access treatment, encourage it, and the one MAJOR piece of relapse prevention is that changes will take place, and that brings the sensitive subject of making new friends, because sobriety means the loss of contact with friends who continue to use. I've found that drinking and abuse of drugs is what we had in common.  Once sober, the result usually means they are not likely to seek you out.  To be blunt, I'm of no interest for them to come around.  It's not that we no longer like or care for one another, it's that our mutual interest of abuse is one sided.  If I knew my friends were having a Christmas party where drink and drugs are readily accessible, and I show up, I'm close to 100% on a road to relapse.  These times of the year are hard for everyone.  But there is light at the end of the tunnel.  Hope.

 

 

 


How have you approached your journey to recovery? https://www.carenity.us/forum/alcoholism/living-with-alcoholism/how-do-you-cope-with-alcohol-dependence-2863 2020-12-19 21:52:27

Give your opinion

Survey

What do you think about the Carenity Forum and community?

Survey

Help shape the future of Carenity!

Survey

Become a Carenity Ambassador – Help our community thrive!

Articles to discover...

How to spot an addiction using the five Cs

03/09/2024 | News

How to spot an addiction using the five Cs

Addiction awareness and recovery: Ask a certified parent coach!

05/16/2023 | Testimonial

Addiction awareness and recovery: Ask a certified parent coach!

Alcohol Abuse: “My life has changed for the better in every possible way since becoming sober.”

05/09/2023 | Testimonial

Alcohol Abuse: “My life has changed for the better in every possible way since becoming sober.”

Addictions, what are they and how to treat them?

08/30/2022 | News

Addictions, what are they and how to treat them?

Alcoholism and depression: one family fights the stigma

03/20/2019 | Testimonial

Alcoholism and depression: one family fights the stigma

Alcoholism:

12/14/2020 | Testimonial

Alcoholism: "To stop drinking is to be free!"

What is addiction?

04/20/2021 | Advice

What is addiction?

Alcohol use disorder: “Quitting alcohol allowed me to rebuild my life!”

03/02/2022 | Testimonial

Alcohol use disorder: “Quitting alcohol allowed me to rebuild my life!”

icon cross

Does this topic interest you?

Join the 500 000 patients registered on our platform, get information on your condition or on that of your family member, and discuss it with the community

Join now! Join now! Join now! Join now! Join now!

It’s free and confidential

Subscribe

You wish to be notified of new comments

 

You have been subscribed

Join now! Log in

About

  • About us
  • Why share your data?
  • The Carenity team
  • The ambassadors
  • Partner associations
  • Contributors
  • The Science and Ethics Committee
  • Our scientific publications
  • Our commitments
  • Certifications and awards
  • Carenity in the news
  • Editorial policy
  • Code of conduct
  • Legal notice
  • Terms of use
  • Cookie management
  • Contact
  • Carenity for professionals

Quick access

  • Health magazine
  • Search a forum
  • Learn about a condition
  • See medication reviews
  • List of forums (A-Z)
  • List of condition info sheets (A-Z)
  • List of medication fact sheets (A-Z)
  • Language flag fr flag en flag de flag es flag it

The www.carenity.us website does not constitute or replace professional medical advice.